For a good portion of my life, I was on the creamy crack. I remember when I was in middle school, I saw this girl with puff balls and I was like “why won’t my hair do that?” It took me years to find out what was underneath my relaxed hair.
I am currently deep conditioning with a new conditioner that I picked up at Walmart. Now, I don’t have a fool proof method for picking out new hair products, I honestly just roll with what ever has natural ingredients and dope packaging (this method works with wine as well). When I saw this bottle on the shelf I was super excited to try it out and obviously tell you guys about the results!!
So this brand is called Maui Moisture, again I purchased this conditioner in Walmart for $6.79. It was the same price as my OGX Coconut Curl Miracle Oil so I was like “you know what let’s switch it up a lil bit!” Maui Moisture has other “flavors” or conditioners and Shampoo’s but I picked up the Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Conditioner For Thick Curly Hair. I believe this bottle was speaking to me!
This will be week two that I have deep conditioned with this product. Honestly I don’t think that I will be switching out my OGX Coconut Curl Miracle Oil for this brand. The smell was nice, but it didn’t give my hair that much slip when I ran the conditioner into each of the four sections of my hair. My hair did feel soft and hydrated after a warm rinse, but I believe my fro is softer when I use the Coconut Curl Miracle Oil. I did my first twist out after deep conditioning and my hair was nice and fluffy!
I do recommend that you try this brand out because everyone’s hair is different! Maui Moisture is something that I would recommend simply because they don’t put a lot of chemicals into their products. The last thing we want to be putting in our fro’s is a bunch of stuff we cannot pronounce!
Every true natural knows that washday is very time consuming! From sectioning off your hair, then detangling each section, ugh it takes forever! Washday has a tendency to feel like a chore to me, so I love to listen to music while I get to work on my fro!
A little fun fact about me is that I love music. No matter what the occasion, I always have a popping playlist to set the mood and keep the party going. I listen to all sorts of Genres but I wanted this Volume of songs to have a neo-soul vibe. There’s nothing wrong with a little washday turn-up! I hope this takes the drab out of washday, and if you have any special requests comment below!
- Call Waiting – Whiz Khalifa
- Got it Good – KAYTRANADA feat. Craig David
- The City – Anderson Pak
- Put Me Thru – Anderson Pak
- Poke – Childish Gambino
- Suede – NxWorries
- Turnin’ Me Up – BJ the Chicago Kid
- Poetic Justice – Kendrick Lamar feat Drake
- These Walls – Kendrick Lamar feat Bilal
- Electric Relaxation – A Tribe Called Quest
- Maybe – N.E.R.D
- Devil In a New Dress – Kanye West feat Rick Ross
- Good Life – T-pain feat. Kanye West
- Could You Be Loved – Bob Marley and The Wailers
- Play No Games – Big Sean Feat. Chris Brown
- No Stress – Iman Omari
- On The Way – TWENTY88
- Ms. Fat. Booty – Mos Def
- Bad Blood – NAO (my personal favorite song to sing in the shower!)
- Soul Sista – Bilal
- Dark Skin Women – Gold Link
- Sumthin’ Sumthin’ – Maxwell
- Frank Ocean – Ivy
- Don’t Touch My Hair – Solange
- Drew Barrymore – Sza
- Open Up – Omarion
- Crew – GoldLink
- Sativa – Jhené Aiko
- Word of Wonders – Buddy
- After The Storm – Kali Uchis feat Tyler the Creator and Boosie Collins
Link to Apple Music Playlist:
This week I want to talk about how I maintain a household full of natural hair. I can only see my hair schedule getting more hectic as our little one get’s older. I’m still in the trial and error phase but I love for my family to look nice! I believe if your hair is tight and right you will have the confidence to conquer the world!
Every two weeks I twist up Mario’s hair to tighten it up. He has been growing his loc’s for about 12 years now. I love how full his hair is! Lately we have been working on making his loc’s a little bigger, trying to get a cross between a corporate Bob Marley (if that’s even a thing). To make some of his thinner loc’s bigger I just put two neighboring loc’s together and twist them at the root, then I wrap the loc’s together all the way to the tip of the loc’s. His hair loc’s up really fast!
Mario’s hair is really thick so we use Murry’s Bee’s Wax to give him the kind of hold he needs. I also twist his loc’s after a fresh wash which makes it easier to grip the new growth. Murry’s is
really thick! Now, I have seen some people with loc’s saying it doesn’t work for them. I think that whether you are natural or have loc’s it is important to seek out what works for you.
Now, Mackenzie’s hair is something different. I haven’t quite figured out how to maintain her hair texture. It likes to loc up on it’s own. The regimen that I’m using on her hair is:
- Condition with the OGX Coconut Miracle Oil
- Detangle using my homemade mixture of coconut oil and olive oil. I found that this give her coils some slip to help ease the detangling process.
- I style using my curly butter
I’m strongly considering letting her get some loc’s because that just seems like what her hair naturally wants to do. When I have a successful twist out on her hair, her afro is beautiful! I’ll have to keep you guys posted on what Mack chooses!
I am thankful that my little baby isn’t in the stages of getting her hair done just yet. Maintaining everyone else’s hair during the week while trying to be have a fierce fro of my own is difficult. My hair mostly ends up in a pineapple by the middle of the week because I’m too tired to do my own hair. I’ve also invested in head wraps to hide the unkept
mess sometimes. I keep telling myself that self care is important, buuuut I haven’t quite mastered fitting “me time” into my schedule just yet. Again, this is something I will blog about when I figure it out! I want so badly to be one of those youtube naturals that seems to have it together all the time. You know, those girls that are total #frogoals and you can’t help but go “yaaaassss” when they show off the results of a perfect wash n’ go (still haven’t mastered the wash n’ go yet)! My husband reminded me that I have been natural for 7 years. I’m ready to try some new things with my hair, and what better way to share with you guys than through this blog!
My name is Chenea and I was once a PRODUCT JUNKIE! Honey, I had tote bags full of curling cremes, leave in conditioners, shea moisture everything and anything, it was
pretty bad. One day I was deep cleaning my bathroom and I told myself this has to stop! Not only was it taking over my bathroom but it was putting a serious dent in my wallet. I think this very fact makes me a reliable source for product reviews because I wouldn’t recommend something unless it has worked for me or my daughter (we have two different hair textures).
I wanted to share the wonderful world of Ogxbeauty because this company has been one that I have been riding with for about two years now. I REFUSE to switch my shampoo brand as of right now because I haven’t used anything that works as well as this stuff. If I ever find anything better I will let you know!
What you want in a good conditioner is something that will leave your hair hydrated and give you that added slip while detangling. I detangle my fro during a wash session while I’m in the shower, that’s just what works for me. This coconut miracle oil gave me all of that, without any
sulfate or parabens that cause damage to your hair and scalp. I also use the coconut curls shampoo whenever I do wash but I don’t use shampoo very often. Washing natural hair too much can strip it of those natural oils and make it dry and crunchy! No one wants a crunchy fro!
I recently did a deep condition for the first time in a while. I sectioned my hair into 4 parts and applied the coconut miracle oil very liberally to each section and I let it sit for about an hour and 30 minutes. That left my hair feeling UH-MAZING! After this weeks wash I decided to try out a protective style because the cold winter hair and dry
apartment heat was just ruining my fro. I did some simple two strain twists all over and added some loc charms that I made by hand. I’ll have to do another post on protective styling as I get more into it.
The only thing WRONG with this product is that they don’t make their bottles bigger. A true natural knows that we FLY through conditioner like that! Making the sizes bigger would be a life saver, especially since everyone in my house hold uses this brand.
Disclaimer: I was not paid by OGX beauty for this review!
I recently made this chart about my business. The idea surrounding the chart was to help me sort out exactly what/who Mane-thing was supposed to be. I felt like I hadn’t had much success in ’17 with my business because I wasn’t being true to myself. I think I was trying to
play it safe with my branding and product names etc. I decided last week to give both my Etsy page and my facebook page a facelift. I think I’m finally in a place now where I’m not afraid to offer my true self to the world.
I love color. When I vision my life all I see are brilliant beautiful colors. I even incorporate bright colors into my wardrobe. My Grandma Virginia would call my outfits “loud.” So I knew that what ever branding I was going to do with my businesses (any business) I would HAVE to incorporate color!
In addition to the new site themes, I added accessories to the Mane-thing shop as well. When I was in middle school I use to make jewelry and sell it to my neighbors and classmates. I stopped because I lost all my
materials when my family moved from Virginia to North Carolina. I was so upset I just never picked up the hobby again, I thought it would be too much work. Recently it just hit me that earrings would be a perfect addition to the shop because earrings are definitely a naturals best friend.
I believe that I just needed to create something that I could be proud of. You know when you are very proud of something you tell everyone about it, you love it you work hard for it. I’m starting to fall in love with this new creative space I’m putting together for myself. If something just isn’t working out, or you aren’t getting the results that you hoped for, it is okay to go back to the drawing board and tweak some things. I believe the strongest character trait that anyone can have is the ability to evaluate themselves and their decisions and make the necessary changes.
2017 has been a very interesting year for me. I would be crazy not share a lot of the lessons that life has taught me this past year. Here are some of the biggest lessons that I have learned in 2017:
- Never give up, even when it seems impossible…miracles can’t happen if you don’t believe in them.
- Take the risk. If you want to make a major change in your life you cannot do so without taking a risk. I always envision this gap between where I am right now and where I want to be. When you take a risk you are starting to build that bridge that will get you to the other side. That means changing a lot about your current situation.
- I’m not completely where I want to be yet, but I have learned that the building is the only part that truly matters. It makes you stronger and smarter, your failures teach you soooo much! I don’t think I would be able to navigate some of the situations that I have been in if it weren’t for my failures. To be the wife, mother, friend, and entrepreneur that I want to be, I know that the universe is providing me with the situations I need to learn from.
- “DON’T LISTEN TO THEY!” I took this lesson from our beloved Mr. Dj Khalid. People will doubt you, the will have opinions, they will say things that may hurt about the changes you are making in your life. I have learned that people can only speak from their perspective, and what they believe they are capable of. It actually has nothing to do with you, which brings me to my next lesson.
- CLEAN UP YOUR CIRCLE! Surrounding yourself with people that do what you do, people that are living the life you want to live is so important. If you surround yourself with energy suckers, and negative Nancy’s, you will never be where you want to be in your life because those people will always make you feel like you have to lower your vibration.
- Patients is a virtue! I have a big book of ideas and things that come to me, things that I want to do right now. BUT I have been working on giving myself time to let those things manifest, let the universe line up the time, the place, and the people to make those ideas happen. I use to get so frustrated when things weren’t happening RIGHT NOW! I’m learning to trust the process more.
- Do what you say you are going to do! This one is very important because it can make or break how you feel about yourself. Feeling good about yourself is very important. So, when you tell yourself “I’m getting up at 5am to work out!” do it and see how much confidence you will feel in yourself!
- The last and very important lesson. Everyone has their own story. Write your own. DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF to anyone else. You have to work with what you have and to your own capabilities.
I’m really excited to carry these lessons into the new year. Reflection is sooo good for you! What lessons have you learned this year that will help you conquer ’18?